CALLING ALL BARS: The Underground Punch Pong League is coming to Bristol!
James Coston, Monin’s UK brand ambassador
London Cocktail Club founder, JJ Goodman, has teamed up with Monin UK to launch a national competition like no other – the Underground Punch Pong League (UPPL).
The UPPL is free to enter, and kicks off with the Monin Bartenders’ Challenge Cup; a ‘battle of the bars’ which will travel to 12 locations around the country throughout September. The Bristol heat is taking place at the Big Chill Bar on September 2nd.
At each regional heat, eight bars will select a team of two bartenders to represent them. The UK bar scene’s most creative bartenders will compete against each other in a ‘beer pong’-style tournament, with one difference – the beer is replaced with delicious punch. Each team will draw a Monin syrup flavour at random, which they must then use as the foundation for creating their signature recipe.
The successful teams will compete for a coveted place in the grand final at the Covent Garden Cocktail Club during London Cocktail Week, on Monday 7 October.
As well as eternal fame and glory, the winning team will also bag a day trip to Paris for four, where they can visit some of the world’s greatest cocktail bars and sample some fantastic French food.
James Coston, Monin’s UK brand ambassador, said: “We’re really excited to be supporting the UPPL. The Monin Bartenders’ Challenge Cup is a great opportunity for bartenders to have fun and show how creative they can be with their punch recipes – and of course, an opportunity to be crowned UPPL MONIN Bartenders’ Challenge Cup Champions during London Cocktail Week!”
JJ Goodman said: “The UPPL is the first of its kind destined for world domination. In true LCC style, any bar is welcome to sign up, and the Monin Bartenders’ Challenge Cup will separate the weak from the strong.”
To enter your team into the Monin Bartenders’ Challenge Cup and for more information on the Underground Punch Pong League, visit www.punchpong.com.
Schedule of play
The dates and locations of the regional heats are as follows and all regional heats start at 5pm.
- · BRISTOL – Monday September 2 – Big Chill
- · CARDIFF – Tuesday September 3 – Lab22
- · CENTRAL LONDON – Sunday September 3 – London Cocktail Club, Oxford Circus
- · EAST LONDON – Monday September 9 – Barrio North
- · WEST LONDON – Tuesday September 10 – Trailer Happiness
- · BIRMINGHAM – Monday September 16 – Island Bar
- · LIVERPOOL – Tuesday September 17 – Salt Dog Slim’s
- · MANCHESTER – Wednesday September 18 – Mojo
- · LEEDS – Thursday September 19 – Smokestack
- · EDINBURGH – Sunday September 22 – The Voodoo Rooms
- · BELFAST – Monday September 23 – Love & Death
- · DUBLIN – Tuesday September 24 – 37 Dawson Street
- · FINAL – Monday October 7 2013 at 5pm – Covent Garden Cocktail Club / Arts Theatre