Healthy squash, bacon, sage and apple risotto
Half a syn plus one healthy A choice per portion when following Slimming World
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr 10 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 350 grams risotto rice
- Frylight low calorie spray
- 600 grams squash of your choice, peeled and chopped into bitesized pieces
- 1 tbsp Asda light sunflower spread (2 syns on Slimming World)
- 1 green apple
- 8 smoked bacon medallions, any visible fat removed, chopped into bitesized pieces
- 1 litre boiling vegetable stock
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful of fresh sage, chopped
- Whole fresh sage leaves, to garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 120 grams parmesan or Grana Padano, grated (4 healthy extra A choices on Slimming World)
Preheat your oven to 200C / Gas 6. Add the chopped squash and chopped sage to an ovenproof dish, and spray with Frylight. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, or until tender.
In the meantime, fry the onion and garlic in a large, heavy-based pan with Frylight. Make up the vegetable stock in a separate jug.
Once the garlic and onion are soft, add the spread and stir to melt. Stir in the risotto rice, ensuring that it is well coated.
Slowly add the stock, stirring regularly. When what you've added has been soaked up, add more. Keep going over a low-medium heat for 25-30 minutes, until all of the stock has been added and the rice is cooked.
While your risotto is cooking, fry your bacon in a separate pan in Frylight until crispy. Set aside.
Grate your apple - including the skin.
Wash the whole sage leaves, and fry in Frylight until crisp. Set aside.
Once the squash is cooked, reserve half of the chunks. Purée the other half of the squash (complete with the sage it was cooked with, plus a little salt and pepper). Add the puréed squash and half of the grated cheese to the risotto, and stir well.
Stir through the squash chunks and grated apple. Spoon the risotto into four bowls, and top each with a quarter of the bacon. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, add the crispy sage leaves, and serve with a green salad.