2 February – 6 May 2013
M Shed, Temporary Exhibition Gallery, Floor 02
Take a trip down memory lane, sink back into the warm certainties of a simpler time and the pleasures of childhood in M Shed’s Chocolate! exhibition opening on Saturday 2 February 2013.
This golden ticket family exhibition explores the history, mystery, magic and science of one of Bristol’s (and the nation’s) favourite products – Chocolate! Unwrap the stories of those who made the confectionery in the city over the past 250 years, find out why it tastes so good and remember the brands from years gone by.
Supported by themed events and multi-sensory experience, this promises to be Bristol’s tastiest exhibition of the year.
Among the special highlights, families will be able to…
• View over 500 objects from the Museum’s collections on display, dating back to 1729
• See the last Fry’s Chocolate bar and last Elizabeth Shaw Mint Crisp chocolates
• Discover how chocolate was a medical remedy in days gone by
• Take a trip down memory lane with nostalgic brands
• Get up close to a tin of chocolates from the Boer War and WWII chocolate rations
• Cast your eyes over original recipes for Turkish Delights and Vanilla Chocolates
• Find out what it was like to work in a chocolate factory
• Enjoy a multi-sensory experience with working machinery, smells and items to touch
• Watch films in a mini cinema
• Get interactive by designing and making your own chocolate box
• Take part in a programme of chocolate related events (see mshed.org)
• From bean to bar… the chocolate making process will be unwrapped
• Each visitor will receive a free chocolate!
Chocolate! is sponsored by Clarke Willmott LLP, a national law firm with roots in the South West which date back almost as long as the city’s chocolate heritage.
Entry to the exhibition is priced at £5 adults/£4 concession. Children £3 (under 5 years Free) and Family tickets are £10. Special free entry days are to be held on Wednesday 20 February, Wednesdays 20 March and Wednesday 17 April 2013 (sorry no groups on these days).
A learning programme has been developed alongside the exhibition, kindly sponsored by Bristol Water. School and group discounts are available – these visits should be pre-booked.
Create Easter baskets!
Wed 27 Mar (10am – 1pm) & Thurs 28 Mar (2pm – 4pm)
Make and decorate your own origami basket ready to fill with Easter treats!
Suitable for ages 5+
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Tues 2 April, Film starts 2pm
Enjoy the original film version (1971) of Roald Dahl’s much-loved book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Seats are limited.
Talking Chocolate (Free with exhibition ticket)
Discover more about Bristol’s connection to the chocolate industry with a series of gallery talks. What was it like to work in a chocolate factory, how is chocolate made and why does it taste so good? Find out from exhibition curators and experts in the industry. No need to book. See mshed.org for dates and details.
Thurs 14 Feb, 7pm
Chocolat (2000) film staring Johnny Depp and Juliette Binoche. With Champagne and truffles. Treat your chocolate lover to something sweet. £6/£5 conc.*
Women, honey and chocolate!
Fri 8 Mar, 6-9pm
Celebrate International Women’s Day with fairtrade chocolate, honey and remarkable women. Includes tastings, demonstrations, talks, music and nibbles…plus exhibition entry to Chocolate! A Bristol Fairtrade Fortnight event. £8/ £6 conc.*
*Booking essential – through M Shed shop on 0117 35 26600
For latest events and further information about the Chocolate! exhibition see mshed.org.